Pre and Post-Op Physical Therapy
Care You Need to Ensure a Quick Recovery
At Brewer Physical Therapy in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Minden, Louisiana, we treat patients before and after a variety of orthopedic surgeries, such as hip and knee replacement or repair of badly broken bones. The purpose of pre- and postoperative rehabilitation is to provide a rapid recovery utilizing the best possible exercise programs. Our therapists maintain close communication with your physician in order to fully understand the scope of your needs.
During your pre-op visit, our physical therapists will explain what the postoperative exercises will be like. Exercising as soon as possible ensures that the joint stays mobile and its strength is maintained or increased. Postoperative care begins as soon as you return home.
Types of pre- and post-op care we offer at Brewer Physical Therapy include:
- Range of motion exercises to keep joints mobile
- Strengthening exercises
- Movements in and out of bed and onto different types of chairs
- Self-care techniques for bathing, dressing, and more
- Walking training, including stairs and curbs
- Community access, including learning how to negotiate elevators
- Getting in and out of cars
- Home exercise program
Brewer Physical Therapy is the only outpatient PT practice in the area to offer the revolutionary medical rehabilitation device known as the Alter-G Anti-Gravity Treadmill®.
The Alter-G Anti-Gravity Treadmill is an innovative treadmill with its unique differential air pressure technology. This allows for accurate, safe, and comfortable partial weight-bearing therapy while promoting normal gait patterns. The anti-gravity treadmill offers the ability to defy gravity and work toward regaining function after surgery like never before.
- Precise unweighting allows you to walk or run with 20% to 100% of your body weight
- It lowers the impact on joints and muscles during exercise
- Fun and easy to use – run or walk like you're on the moon!
- It defies gravity by applying a lifting force to the body that reduces the pressure of weight on the lower extremities
- It may help reduce the time required for patients, particularly older adults, to recover from injury or surgery
At Brewer Physical Therapy, our goal is to help you recover as much of your pre-operative abilities as possible. Recovery programs are tailored to fit each patient’s abilities and needs.
Schedule Your Pre or Post-Op Care at Brewer Physical Therapy
Schedule your appointment to discuss pre- or post-op care at Brewer Physical Therapy by calling (318) 222-8892 (Shreveport), (318) 747-8892 (Bossier City), or (318) 639-9536 (Minden). You can also schedule your appointment right now.
LATEST PHYSICAL THERAPY RESEARCH
Is physical therapy (PT) better than steroid injections? A new study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that patients with knee osteoarthritis treated with PT experienced less pain and better physical function after one year than patients who received steroid injections. These findings suggest the benefits of PT for knee osteoarthritis may be more long-lasting than earlier believed.